Stubborn fat can be hard to lose. Could liposuction be the solution?
Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that removes fat cells from targeted areas using suction. Liposuction allows patients to shape and sculpt problem areas like a muffin top, a double chin, or banana rolls.
Getting rid of excess fat is great news, but will it last? Can return after liposuction?
Liposuction Permanently Removes Fat
Liposuction permanently removes fat from the body; treated fat cells will not regenerate. To maintain your best results, Dr. Vandegrift recommends maintaining a consistent weight after your liposuction procedure. If your weight remains stable, your liposuction results should remain indefinitely.
Can I Gain Weight After Liposuction?
Liposuction isn’t a weight loss treatment. Its sole goal is to remove stubborn fat from specific trouble spots. After liposuction, the principles of weight gain and loss will remain the same: If you consume more calories than you burn, you will gain weight, and vice versa.
Weight gain can adversely affect your liposuction results. If you only add a few pounds, fat cells across your body will grow. Since you’ll have fewer fat cells in the treatment area, this area should accumulate less fat than it would have pre-surgery.
Significant weight fluctuations can have a more dramatic impact on your liposuction results. Patients who gain a substantial amount may develop new fat cells in the treated and untreated areas of their bodies. Many patients find the treated areas continue to look slimmer, due to the removal of fat cells during liposuction.
Tips for Maintaining Your Weight After Liposuction
If you want your liposuction results to last, it is essential to maintain your weight. Try these tips for staying within your target weight post-liposuction.
- Eat a healthy diet: A balanced diet is a foundation for a healthy weight. Focus on lean protein sources, whole grains, and abundant fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid fad diets: When it comes to your wellness, shortcuts are never the answer. Fad diets come and go, but healthy living is always a smart choice for your overall well-being.
- Achieve a stable weight before liposuction: Make sure you’ve hit your goal weight and can maintain it before scheduling liposuction. If you want to lose more weight, do it before your procedure.
- Exercise regularly: Hitting the gym isn’t the only way to exercise. Living an active lifestyle is often more effective than trying to squeeze exercise into a sedentary one. Take the stairs. Park farther from the store. Take active movement breaks throughout your day.
- Hydrate: Good hydration can help with weight maintenance. Drink plenty of water daily. Limit sugary drinks and alcohol, as these empty calories can lead to weight gain.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep deprivation can cause you to overeat. Make sure you’re prioritizing sleep and getting enough rest.
If you’re having trouble maintaining your weight after liposuction, visit your doctor or work with a dietitian to find solutions. The best thing you can do for your body contouring results is to maintain your weight.
Schedule Your Liposuction Consultation With Dr. Vandegrift Today
Shape and sculpt your body and say goodbye to fat with liposuction. If you have stubborn areas of unwanted fat, call Dr. Vandegrift at (631) 935-0303 to learn more about body contouring in Long Island or schedule a consultation.